Ovral G is an effective oral contraceptive pill that works to prevent pregnancy, treat irregular periods or heavy flow of bleeding, skin disorders, and is advised for PCOS as well. The medication uses a combination of progesterone – Norgestrel, and an estrogen – Ethinyl Estradiol. These pills work in multiple ways to prevent pregnancy. For these pills to work effectively, tablets should be consumed every day at a fixed interval not exceeding 24 hours. Kindly note that these pills do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
How Does Ovral G Work?
These tablets operate by different methods to prevent pregnancy.
- It prevents the egg from releasing during your menstruation cycle, thus eliminating the chances of getting pregnant.
- It does not allow the endometrial lining of the uterus to grow, thus making the uterine environment inhospitable for the growth of the fetus.
- It hinders the free movement of the sperm by making the mucus of the cervix thicker.
Who Should Not Take Ovral G?
- Ovral G is not suitable for women who
- Are regular smokers
- Are more than 35 years of age
- Are obese
- Have a history of blood clots, clotting disorder, or stroke
- Are pregnant and lactating
- Have a present or history of cardiovascular disease – irregular heartbeat, chest pain, heart attack, heart valve disease, coronary artery disorder.
- Have known allergies to Norgestrel and/or Ethinyl Estradiol.
- It is to be used with caution in patients suffering from
- Gallbladder diseases
- Liver problems
- Kidney disorders
- Thyroid issues
- Intimate your doctor in the following cases:
- A history of breast, cervix, or uterine cancer, before using these tablets.
- An undiagnosed case of vaginal bleeding.
- Severe migraine
- Jaundice because of pregnancy or use of contraceptives
- Family or personal history of edema or angioedema
- You’re on Hep-C medications that contain ombitasvir, ritonavir, or paritaprevir.